I've decided to change or rather enhance the scope of my blog. Instead of just using it as a repository for cool videos, as I have in the past (see old posts in the archive on the right), I will post (a) our Morning Message, (b) the Friday letter, and (c) other interesting assignments/tidbits. My thinking is this:
Reason #1) Many parents (and other family members) are in front of a computer all day at work. These folks may be curious about what their 4th-grade friends are up to. The Morning Message usually contains important announcements and previews our schedule for the day/morning. Moreover, Friday letters often include links that are far easier to click on than to retype. I can make links simple for you to access! For example: Ms. Bragg's Portaportal site, where she keeps all the best links she comes across (links to fun games, intriguing videos, interactive applets, and informational sites).
Reason #2) Kids who are at home sick may want to log in to Angel to see what their classmates are up to. On Angel, they will have access to this blog, Ms. Bragg's Portaportal site, and to the classroom google calendar. (Look! I did that link thing again!) If they are feeling up to it, they will even be able to complete some assignments at home and therefore not get behind. For example, today kids who were home sick could have watched this EPA (Environmental Protection Agency)/Weather Channel video about watersheds:"After the Storm". Now parents can check out this link/video too and discuss it with their kids.
Does this sound like a pretty good idea? Let me know what you think. NOTE: I will continue to send home a paper copy of the Friday Letter in the Friday Folders. Our class reads these together before we depart for weekend adventures. They're my proofreaders! Everyone needs at least one-- I've got 22!
Finally, to top off this first post of 2009, I'd like to share with you some photos of my own weekend adventures that connect to our current Inquiry unit. 4th Graders: What signs of runoff can you see?
These were all taken right below Wilson Bridge at Jones Point Park on the waterfront in Alexandria. You can see National Harbor in the distance.

2 comments:
Ms. Bragg,
Thanks for establishing this blog. Very interesting and helpful.
john rollins
Hannah's Dad
I am really enjoying reading the daily blog. What a great idea to keep up in touch with what's going on in our kids' class! Thanks for doing this!
Post a Comment